Positive parenting strategies include:
- Building strong, nurturing family relationships and good communication.
- Helping parents feel more confident and competent. As a result, parents are less depressed, less stressed, and have less conflict with their partners over parenting issues.
- Using everyday situations and opportunities to help children learn pro-social skills and motivate them to do their best.
- Planning ahead to prevent problems.
- Staying calm and responding consistently and assertively when problems do occur.
- Teaching children to regulate their own behaviour and emotions in constructive and non-harmful ways.
- Looking after yourself as a parent (or grandparent, or other care-giver), including by learning more about regulating your own thoughts, feelings and behaviour to reduce stress.
Stella Evolution provides therapies for children, adolescents and adults for a range of mental health, behaviour and learning conditions.
Servicing Southern Adelaide and surrounding areas of South Australia